Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Trade-Offs

In life there are always trade-offs.  You get to enjoy eating that delicious piece of chocolate cake, but you'll pay for it when your jeans don't button.  It's so much fun going to that Kenny Chesney concert on a Thursday night, but you're dragging the next morning at work.  There couldn't be anything better than the high you get on Christmas morning...and then there's all that wrapping paper to clean up later!

You see, trade-offs are everywhere.  I've realized that as Avery grows and develops, there are also trade-offs in that, too.  Let me share some with you...

Our life reached a milestone when Avery started sleeping through the night.  Yes! I can sleep a full 8-10 hours now without getting up to feed her.  However, she DOESN'T nap as long, or as much, during the day.  I used to be able to work out, (or something else more fun), while she slept 2-3 hours at a time.  Which would I rather have? A FULL NIGHT'S SLEEP.

Avery is getting stronger every day and moves around so much.  We are so proud of every attempted roll onto her stomach and her ability to sit up in her bumbo seat.  The trade-off is now I can NOT take my eyes off her.  I used to be able to leave her on the couch, or her changing table, and walk away.  Not any more!  This also makes picture taking and nose-cleaning more difficult.

Speaking of getting stronger, that little girl has a strong grasp.  She is now reaching for toys and can hold them in her hand.  This just baffles me every time I see her clutching her pacifier or small toy.  It's amazing what they can learn so quickly.  Unfortunately, that strong grasp has found it's way to my arm!  She pinches the living devil out of me, at least twice a day, and not to mention those razor sharp finger nails.  Avery also has found my hair, and sometimes doesn't let go.

The bond between a parent and their child is a gift from God above.  I love her more and more every single day.  I truly believe she feels most comfortable with me and knows when I'm not around.  Our bond is very strong and I love the fact she needs me.  The great part is that I can stay at home with her and she goes everywhere with me.  The trade-off is separation anxiety!  I'm pretty sure she's fine...but I'm the one struggling with being apart from her.  I think about her constantly and can't wait to get her back in my arms.

Breast feeding Avery was a priority before I had her.  I'm very thankful that it has been successful.  It's so much easier than carrying bottles everywhere I go, having to wash bottles, and preparing formula.  The nutritional value breast milk provides Avery isn't comparable to what else is out there.  Unfortunately, breast feeding has it's down falls (literally).  You don't have to think too hard to figure out the trade-off in this one.  

And then, of course, there's the miracle of carrying a human being in your body for 40 weeks.  What an amazing opportunity it is to experience the joy of feeling that little baby move around in your belly.  There's nothing like it!  However, we aren't all like Heidi Klum, ready to strut our stuff in the Victoria Secret fashion show 2 months after giving birth.  Even though I'm back to my pre-baby weight, and can fit back into my clothes, things just aren't exactly the same!

Even with all of those 'trade-offs', if you'd ask me if I'd do it all over again...I would answer YES in a heartbeat!  She's worth every sleepless night, worrying minute, pinched arm, pulled hair, droopy (ahem), and post-baby roll :)


2 comments:

  1. This is a good post,Paige. You pretty much "hit the nail on the head". LOL Kathy from G'ville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl,
    Thanks for the update..it was great seeing your girls yesterday.I pray the Lord continues to Bless Your Family
    -T

    ReplyDelete